July 29, 2009

Our Garden

Eventhough, it's not the end of the growing season, I decided to go ahead and take a couple pictures of our garden. Last year, I waited too long and it . . . well . . . it was hailed out around the beginning of August. Our garden is around 800 sq ft. Yes, it does take a lot of work! It does seem easier each year. When you harvest and eat something from your garden, it's all worth it!! I love seeing the excitement from my children, when they pick the produce. This year we have had a hard time with our tomatoes and peppers. On the flip side, we have produced more of everything else then we ever have. So far we have eaten, peas, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach, Zucchini, a pepper, and some really large cucumbers. A few new things for us, that are not pictured. We put in a strawberry bed and an asparagus bed. No, not much harvest this year, but OOOH . . . Next year should be rather great!!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I am so impressed.

Doug and Amanda said...

when you say we, do you mean everyone ate those things, including Zach? If you got him to eat zucchini not in a chocolate loaf I must know how you did... I love all the posts and I am SO IMPRESSED with your garden, our seeds didn't even get out of the package this year....

Lisa said...

Zucchini cake has been a hit this week. Recipe: substitute zucchini for the carrots in a carrot cake recipe.
Yes, Zach ate crisp, fried Zucchini. Trick for asparagus & zucchini: barely, I mean barely fry it. Green onions and peppers are a treat for me. No one else in my family really likes them. They will eat them in Salsa, otherwise, they will only eat them if not seen. But for cooking, I say "What they don't know, can only be good for them!"

Mike & Judy said...

The garden is looking great. We may actually get somethings from ours this year. I agree it is all worth it when you get to eat something you grew. We are even getting pumpkin this year.

Grandma O. said...

The garden looks great! We used your zucchini bread receipe the other day. Today I think we should try the cake idea. I think we have about 10 zucchini in the kitchen. We have been enjoying our peas this year. Maybe because it's probably been 20 years or more since we planted any. Today we will be having some beets for supper. Thought you might want to come and help eat them. I recall them being one of your favorite foods. Not!